Thursday, June 2, 2011

Risky, but Fun!

I was browsing blogs one day and one blog led to another and another, etc until I landed on a blog teaching me to make driveway paint.  We like sidewalk chalk, so why not paint? 
It is so very easy.  Just water, cornstarch and food coloring.  I didn't measure.  The lady's blog said her colors were a little muted so I did add a little more food coloring than I thought was necessary, but still only 10 drops or so per color.  I even mixed some colors to make orange and purple.

Now, it's messy and risky.  Food coloring is not washable.  I repeat NOT WASHABLE so we used an apron and wore  a dark colored shirt.  Hope is a pretty careful 2 year old and she did beautifully with it.

When it first goes on, it is really pretty and has vivid colors.

But, as it dries, it does get pastel on you.  Still, I liked it.  From afar, it just looks like you've been doing sidewalk chalk again, but we're not going for an outdoor art gallery here, just some fun in the sun.    Now,  I will add that as I was watching it dry into a pastel color I remembered the lady on her blog said she didn't add more food coloring because she didn't want to stain her driveway.  Uh oh!  I forgot about that.  Now, I was starting to sweat it.  But, never fear... I can tell you for sure it washed off with just rain. No soap or jet powered power washers.  Of course, this was the week of all our big storms...(I'm a little behind in my blog posting)

We had a great time...didn't quit until all the paint was used up!

And since we were already dressed for mess, we got out the good ol' finger paints.

This is one perhaps only a mother can appreciate.  I see in her face total contentment with her creation.  To her, she is making a masterpiece.  It's one of my favorite photos of Hope.  Probably just a mom thing.

I can tell you that she got way messier with the finger paints than the driveway paint.  Kids really do know when it's important to stay clean and when it's okay to let loose.

No comments: