Friday, September 2, 2011

Bathtub paint

I feel like all that I ever post is pictures of Hope painting something or other.  We really do paint a lot, but we do other things too.  However, this is yet another painting post.  This time: the bathtub paint from pinterest.  It pops up literally every time I log on which is often so I figured it was time to just do the thing.  Here goes:
Super easy to make: I bought the cheap white foamy stuff that smells like an old man.  But I recommend that over the gel that turns into foam, etc because it tends to already be tinted blue or pink for ladies.  I noticed that the picture on pinterest had black instead of purple and I wonder if that was because her shaving cream already had a tint when she tried to mix colors?  Just a thought.  These colors are made with only 2 drops of die per tin.  I was a little nervous that it would leave a stain so I was very conservative. 

Hope loved this.  I suprised her with it when she woke up from a nap.  I thought we'd paint for 20 minutes or so, but after an hour, I cut her off and only because I was eager to see what would happen when I tried to clean it up. 

We just stripped her down, stood up in the dry bathtub and went to work.  Obviously this wouldn't work during actual bath time because of what water does to shaving cream.  Also: adult supervision is required because if kiddo tries to paint the tub floor it will get very slippery!

Our tins when we're done:  Just FYI: it takes approx 6 heaping muffin tins to completely cover an entire normal sized bathtub as high as a 2 year old can reach.  Also, when the shaving cream is out of the tins, the fun isn't over because what you already have on the walls can become finger paint or simply be redistributed somewhere else.  Don't expect a master piece here.  This paint isn't good for details!  And for the clean up: Wow, I was thrilled...a rag and water. No residue or staining whatsoever.  I used the regular McCormick food coloring and like I said, just 2 drops.  This will be a great activity for winter when we can't get outside to do our normal messy artwork.   The only negatives are your princess will smell like an old man for a while...heck really your whole house may smell like a man for a while.  But it is worth it!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Thanks for writing about this because I was wondering about that...