I have a piece of advice for moms of toddlers out there. When the going gets really tough and you need desperately to have a break from tantrums, endless rounds of hide and seek, strange quietness that means big trouble in another room, and picky eating- but you have no options for babysitting: just go do something fun. Something that allows you to not have to say 'no' at all, somewhere cool if you are pregnant, somewhere that the only food required to be eaten is a treat. Last week I learned that you can have a day off with your munchkin right there with you. I took Hope to the pet shop, then to the new JoAnn's store that just opened (we love to look at craft supplies), then to eat at Panera (where Hope ordered a french toast bagel for lunch and I didn't care one bit), then...to the movies!
 |
| It was her first trip to the movies. We saw the Pooh movie. It's only 70 minutes long so it was tolerable for a toddler. We saw friends from Kindermusik there, too! It was a big screen, but it had to be Malco's smallest theatre. I didn't know such small theatres existed. Seriously, only about 5 rows of seats. Is this the one they usually reserve for boring documentaries or is it the child's theatre? Who cares. We loved it. |
 |
| Woody had told me to buy treats and let her play any video game she wanted. Well... I may be on a day off, but I'm still a penny pincher so we smuggled in our treats and skipped the video games. (yes, I do feel a little guilty about the smuggling.) The tears from skipping the video games washed off most of her chocolate face. It was so cute, but so messy! Remember though, we don't care today. Both of us had to change clothes when we got home and it was just a thing of mini M&M's! The Kindermusik friend was eating gummy bears. She's her mom's 3rd child. That mom has learned not to bring anything remotely meltable into the movies. I'll know for next time, but I will always remember that sweet chocolate goatee grinning back at me singing the songs and saying "I like this funny movie, mom!" |
2 comments:
I think we are on the same wave-length! Daniel has been working so much lately, and it's been tough single-parenting it! I just took Aubrey to PetSmart yesterday on a "Pet Adoption Day" -- it was even better than a trip to the zoo PLUS it's air conditioned! Ahhhh!
Thanks for the tip on the non-chocolate snack at the movies! I'm planning on taking Aubrey to see Winnie the Pooh soon -- it'll be her first big screen experience!
Hope is such a doll, by the way. She has the sweetest face!
Sounds like a very fun day for both of you! Thank you for the reminder that it's good to take breaks and do something that's fun for both parent and child. Hope you're having a great week!
Post a Comment