Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wake Forest...THE FOOD!

Last week we visited John's family in North Carolina. Fun, fun! First let's talk about the food! Christy fixed so many meals for us while we were there and served us dessert as well with them all. We so appreciate her cooking for us and feel somewhat guilty about letting her do it although not as badly as last time we visited when she did the same thing only was 9 months pregnant. We ate out at some great places also. Have you ever had Five Guys Burgers and Fries? If you haven't- you should! Owensboro friends: not much longer and we'll have one!
This picture is Luke helping Woody eat his enormous concrete from Goodberry's. See these ice creams? They are Luke's, Hope's, Woody's and mine. Can you guess which one was Woody's? This man is married to a dietitian.
And....if that sugar high doesn't do it for you, come with me to Krispy Kreme's. Did you know that was started in North Carolina? I didn't. I thought fresh Krispy Kreme's were when the truck dropped them off at the Shell station. Nope! We watched them make the donuts an then ate them right off the presses! Yummm. There were 4 adults and 2 children eating. Can you guess how many those folks ate? Try 2 dozen. Right there in the store. No saving for later. Again...I'm a dietitian! What am I thinking?!
Hadley came too...the little doll! But no donuts for her! Just a hat.
We ate some healthy food, too. Like true southern folk, we ate lots of picnic lunches. Woody and I packed picnics for one meal each day we traveled as well. It really is a lot healthier and saves money... and is more fun. Your kids get exercise. Heck, you can get some exercise, too at the parks running around after you eat. (see, I really am a dietitian!) This day we found ourselves park-less as the capitol building is a party poop-er and wants us all keeping "off the grass, please." I can't remember how we ended up here at the cemetery having lunch but we did. Maybe it's weird, but we're weird and we liked it.
Whew, I'm getting full just talking about this. True story: by the end of the trip even Hope had to loosen her belt! Seriously- I had to adjust the straps on her travel high chair. Well, I'm going to go do sit ups. See you later for more of our journey!




1 comment:

Tara Dembowczyk said...

That looks like so much fun. When we lived just outside Baltimore, MD, we had a Krispy Kreme that made fresh donuts....oh, they're SO hard to resist. One night, Brian and I went there with a friend. I was pregnant with Joshua at the time and scheduled to have my pregnancy glucose test done the following morning. Needless to say, the donuts I ate that night did NOT bode well for my glucose test...i failed!!!! :)