Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Park Tour: English Park

Or should I say "Peter B. English Park?" Whatever the name, we love this park. The playground is small, but the swings are great. The playground really does keep us plenty entertained and just look at the beautiful setting. Maybe I'm dreaming but I feel like being closer to the river offers this park a wonderful breeze. There are also plenty of established shade trees. The ground is the mulch but it's well mulched.
And look! There are other kids at this park!! Just one family but the one family brought their dog, so... we like em! Also off in the distance are people just looking at the river, I guess. Maybe thinking? Maybe reflecting, maybe praying? Maybe they walked over from their downtown office to take their lunch break?
Even in winter, we stop by these swings whenever it's sunny enough to keep us warm for even 15 minutes to get some vitamin D and playtime. It feels like home to us.
The dog: I had it on good authority from the granddad that this dog likes kids and wouldn't bite. Still, I kept close, I promise. Hope was learning about those little helicopter seeds at the park today. She is showing her new trick to the dog. He was a good learner.
If you walk a little ways down the river you'll find the new boat dock and gazebo, etc. If you're from Owensboro but haven't been back in a while you'll not recognize this. It's beautiful. They did a great job.
I know what you're thinking: English Park?! Isn't that in the "bad" part of town? Well, some may say so. But check this out. Would you call this house a slum? Hardly. Now, are most of the kids we meet on the playground being supervised from the shelter by social workers while they interact with their parents? Maybe. Are there lots of men lurking around watching us play? Yes. Do they hide in little cut out areas and you don't know that they are there until you are right on em. Sure. But see, there's LOTS of them so they kind of keep an eye on each other for ya. No worries. Besides- Does uncle Arthur the cop participate in a drug bust in our own neighborhood at least once a week? You betcha!

And see, here are the condos on the other side of the park. They are also very nice. In fact, in 50 years, you'll probably find Woody and Leigh Ann retired and living here...just counting the barges going by from our balcony. We don't care what neighborhood you're in, English Park. We love ya. You get an A from the Maglinger's!









1 comment:

Cindy said...

Riley and I love this park too-- she can easily climb the stairs and slide down the slide over and over and over again. Its funny though, the last time we were there a man from the Parks Department came over to us and "warned" us that we better be careful-- I was like, "ok, do you have a reason to say that" and he was like "just be careful". Let us know when you guys are going again on a Monday or Tuesday and Riley and I will be there too!