Friday, April 23, 2010

Park Tour: Thompson-Berry

Did you know there are more than just a lot of soccer fields here? We sure didn't. But guess what, there's a playground at Thompson Berry Park. Apparently we are not alone in not knowing there was a playground. Where the heck are all the kiddos? This day was sunny and a perfect 68 degrees. The playground is great for bigger kids. There isn't really a toddler section. The slides are on the back of this picture but there are plenty of slides and Hope could go down most of them. The theme here seems to be rock climbing. I'm noticing that's all the rage in parks around here.
They've got the baby swings and even the swings for the disabled. But they don't have shade. I will give them some credit as they have planted some shade trees. Maybe in a couple years. The ground is that mulch stuff but it's mulched well. Overall the park was very clean as well. (probably because it's never used!)
We managed to have a great time even if we were all by ourselves.
Just across the vacant parking lot is the humane society. There is a huge field with horses and another where the dogs are out playing. That would have been great fun. But, this is as close as we could get before being stopped by 3 separate people telling us to get lost. Sheesh. (I snapped my camera the whole time I was walking away: partly so I could show you and partly to irritate them.)

Maybe this sign should have served as a warning to me. I thought they meant INSIDE the building they didn't want any trespassing. sorry.
Also within walking distance of where we parked was the Western Ky Botanical Gardens. That would also be a great attraction for the park, but it is not free and therefore cannot be a part of this park tour! Actually there are no rules as I am the only one playing but I didn't feel like paying to go see it :)
Overall we'll give this park about a B. If I had bigger kids, maybe higher marks. There's nothing at all wrong with it except for some unfriendly humane society neighbors but it's just not all that memorable either. Still, we'll be back I'm sure. We're park bums.








1 comment:

Cindy said...

You need to remember that school is still in session right now so the parks are going to be empty during the day during the week:) But you should see that park in the evening or weekend when soccer is going on-- it is standing room only. That's bad that the Humane Society wasn't very nice-- you should of told them you were looking for a dog.