Monday, May 14, 2012

Jammin' with Grammy

It's May. You know that already.  May means strawberry pickin' time in KY!  We went to Reid's where we almost missed the UPick season due to the early spring making all the strawberries come in earlier than I had expected.  The kids and I picked and picked.  Okay, Hope ate strawberries right off the vine, Will slept in the shady stroller and I picked and picked.  The reward was worth it!
This is Hope's first time making strawberry jam.  I'm always impressed with her attention span for things.  She saw several batches through to the very end.  Our job at first was smashing.  Just FYI, the potato masher does better than the meat mallet for mashing.

Grammy's job was to remove the stems.  She is also the captain of the operation.  Another FYI, if you jam with Gram, she will not tolerate any guess work. Everything must be measured.  No "eyeballin' it."

We'd love to share some of our jam with you, but none the jars would come without a little Hope lovin' in it.  She tasted every step along the way.

See, we are supposed to be stirring constantly for 3 minutes, but there she goes tastin' again.  Captain Grammy does tolerate tasting, but no eyeballin'. Remember that, okay?

Sugar high. Big sugar high.

Will, he thinks we are all silly, but just wait... he'll do some jammin' of his own soon enough.

No comments: