There are 2 groups of people I just don't trust: doctors and car people. I know there are good folks who are doctors and good folks who work on/sell/deal with cars, but as a whole this is where my prejudices lie. But, when I'm wrong I like to admit it and it seems I've been wrong about a car person. Here's the story:
This past January, Woody and I bought a Toyota 4Runner. It's used, but seemed to be in really great shape (even though it was in the discount section of the car lot.). I hadn't gotten the oil changed since we bought it. That's 6 months now. The sticker in the window said it's not due for servicing for another 750 miles, but still...6 months?! So I took it to the Valvoline Oil Change place over by Carter/Parish Ave. Woody had already prepped me with all the "no sir, I don't want to change that filter or replace that gadget right now" responses. Only an oil change. Usually, I think these people make stuff up just to see if they can get the "little lady inside" to fall for it.
When the man working on my car came in holding the oil stick (am I giving away how little I know about cars?) I took a deep breath- waiting for the lecture on how my oil was all gone and don't I know how to check the oil level? You can imagine my surprise when he said "Ma'am here's the color of the oil and it's still full. No fluid levels are low and I'd be wasting your money to give you an oil change today. Come back in 750 more miles." I was stunned. I asked if that was the color it was supposed to be and he reassured me that it looked great. Can you believe that? He could have totally ripped me off and charged $40.00 for an oil change and I'd never have been the wiser! In the spirit of this economy and also in the spirit of Woody's and my determination to save save save, I felt very blessed!
Thanks Valvoline man!
1 comment:
i went to valvoline the other day and I was pretty impressed as well! I thought they were gonna try to get me to buy another air filter cause it was borderline dirty in my opinion, but they said it was fine. hmm...there's a few good people left
Post a Comment